How to choose the right office chair!
Who cares about a simple office chair you say? Well it seems that people have finally realized just how important the right chair can be and not only for the office worker, but also for the average home user too. People are now spending as much time sitting in a chair in front of a computer as they do in their own beds.
According to extensive studies on the subject, the right office chair creates a productive workstation that maximizes the efficiency and quality of an employees’ work. Why wouldn’t you want your employee to be comfortable and avoid common injuries like back problems, strain injury, and carpal tunnel syndrome. These problems are mainly caused by un-natural posture positions..
If you are the type to cut costs and presume that any chair will be fine for your workers, think again. In the long run employees that are inured or in pain from sitting in a non ergonomic chairs can cost your company huge amounts of money.
You may have heard of the term ‘ergonomic chair’. This refers to a chair purposely designed to fit the comfort needs of the user with considerations such as surrounding environment taken into account. When choosing an ergonomic office chair there are some important guidelines you should follow.
Important features you need to look for
Good lumbar support Ensure the chair has support for the lower back as this promotes good posture.
Breathable fabric Having enough padding and the right fabric allows the user to sit for hours on end without becoming hot and uncomfortable. If your chair has non-breathable fabric you can cover it with a removable and washable cover.
Highly adjustable Adjustments to look for should include height, backrest, armrest and lumbar support adjustment. This will also enable the chair to suit a variety of different users.
Quality Construction A Steel constructed chair is definitely preferred over plastic. It lasts longer and can withstand constant use. Also a five wheeled based is recommended as it is stable and less likely to tip over.
Wheeled base Get the correct wheels to suit your floor surface. For example you may need a different wheel type to allow your chair to move freely on carpet.
Swivel base The chair should easily rotate so the user can reach different areas of their desk without straining.
The benefits of having the correct office chair
1. Reduces operator fatigue and discomfort.
2. Helps prevent Common injuries.
3. Comfortable employees are more productive.
4. Contributes to a positive work environment.
5. Reduces unnecessary breaks due to discomfort.
Correct seating position
An Ergonomic chair is useless if it is not adjusted to the correct position for the individual user. There are three factors to consider when doing adjustments. The chair, your body type, and your surroundings. Here are some of the most common factors you should consider.
1. Your backrest should follow the natural shape of your spine and support the inward curve of the lower back. Avoid slouching.
2. Your feet should rest flat on the floor. If they do not reach the floor you should have a footrest.
3. The armrests should be close to your body and allow your shoulders to relax comfortable against the back of the chair.
4. Your arms should be level with the height of your desk. This will prevent strain from being in an awkward position.
5. When sitting correctly and looking straight ahead, you should be viewing the center of your monitor screen.
Your top priority when choosing an ergonomic chair should be for comfort and support. It is definitely not worth risking possible damage to your back by sitting in a chair that is not designed to suit your needs. Finding the right chair for you is easy now that there are so many different products available to choose from. Also remember that this is a worthwhile investment and you cannot put a price on the health and structure of your spine.